Sunday, October 26, 2008

The 2000 step natural stair master

The title explains it all! We have been in the Amalfi coast for the past week, when we had only planned to be here two nights. It has been amazing though. It is so beautiful here and we have been able to see more places than we wouldn't have been able to if we had stuck to our original plan. The town is great and the locals are nice, they've even shown us around quite a bit. We have taken some 2000 stairs down to the actual town of Amalfi, and then back up again (not a very good idea by the way! haha), another 1700 steps down after a three hour hike to a town called Positano. Let's just say that my legs are feeling it after all those steps. Apparantly, we also have to take all the other stairs up that we see when we are exploring around.

It's been great though. The views here are amazing and the girls won't let me live down our dinner with some of the locals when we first arrived in town about eating. While we were at dinner everyone had eaten everything and I was still left with mounds of food on my plate. They were all making me laugh and our friends Antonio, Amelio, and (another) Antonio were all yelling EAT! EAT! at me in Italian and I could not stop laughing...to the point of tears. All this to say, Lara and Erica now say it to me every time we have a meal together.

I am also referred to as Britney Spears and/or Rhianna, and we are the "crazy american girls," because we walk everywhere (no matter if its 2000 stairs up and down, or a 7k walk to Positano). We are off to Greece tomorrow (I am pretty sure). It will take us about two days of travel by train and ferry. Our friend Tonja, who is staying in the hostel with us, just came from Greece and had a few suggestions for us. She is traveling on her own for 6 1/2 months! It's so crazy, but she had some great stories for us. I could never travel for that long on my own at all.

I am starting to miss home, friends, and familiarity, but this has definitely been the trip of a lifetime! I just realize I am such a home body and family and friends are so important to me! I can't wait to get home and show everyone some of the places we have been and share some more of the stories. Love from Italy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EAT!!

Mom said...

Sounds like you are having the time of your life. Stay safe and keep in touch. Don't eat too much. Love you and miss you bunches.

Unknown said...

This sounds so awesome! keep on enjoying yourself