Saturday, October 18, 2008

Four People in an Elevator Meant for Two

Here's a little story for you all:
Well after a two and a half train ride from Rome to Naples, two taxi drivers who probably ripped us off and some delicious pizza from the pizza capital of the world (Naples invented pizza) we were ready to settle into a hostel. The first hostel we went to had one bed left and the three of us would not fit. Luckily there was another hostel with open beds right across the street (the nice italian boy at the front desk called over for us to double check). We were also lucky because Naples is a very unsafe city to be walking around at night, let alone to mention carrying around large travel backpacks. At the first hostel we rode the elevator up to the 7th floor for 5 cents and barely fit. When we walked across to the second hostel we met an Italian guy from Pompei at the door and he ended up in the other elevator with us three girls and our backpacks. Antoher 5 cents and a minute later all four of us climbed out of an elevator probably no bigger than 2ft by 3ft or so. It gave us all a good laugh and this guy from Pompei had told us how he studied in New Castle\Manchester UK and did archaeology and used to give night tours for the actual ancient city of Pompei, which we visited today.

Pompei was a cool city. If you don't know the story I HIGHLY SUGGEST you get the quick recap on Wikipedia. It's a good one! :-) The very basic description is that Mt Vesuvius erupted very unexpectedly and quickly so the town was completely taken over and trashed from the eruption. Now it is a site you can go and see its ruins and the things that they have excavated. Going there I thought it would be a small town that was quick to walk through, but to my surprise it was a very large and thriving city at one time, which makes more sense now that I've seen it. It was so cool to think that people actually lived there and what made it even more real was seeing a cast they did of how they found some of the preserved bodies and animals while excavating many years later. We got some cool pics of the ruins as well as some funny ones with us girls being silly. We also got some whistles and kissing noises by the locals selling things outside the Pompei ruins in the "new" city. It was uncomfortable but it's a lot better when you don't acknowledge it! We just kept walking and figuring out how to get back to Naples.

Tomorrow we are off to the Amalfi coast of Italy and then we are figuring out how to get to Greece from there. I have experienced more public transportation in the few days of being Italy than I have in my whole life, now I highly support public transportation and wish that California had a better system. It's cheap and gets you to where you need to be! We should be in Greece by middle of next week, which is where we will spending most of our time. I cannot believe I have only been here 4 full days and that I will be spending almost two weeks in Greece!

I am still trying to find a good way to upload some pictures. I really wish everyone could see what we have been doing. Better yet, if everyone was here to see the things we have been doing, because words and pictures do not capture the essence of many of these places... and the stories are a lot funnier in person I'm sure! ;-)

As a side note... my first hostel experience has not been so bad. However it is one of the nicer ones and you can't beat free internet access and delicious continental breakfast of coffee (have to have the coffee...itàs great here and doesn't leave the weird coffee taste in your mouth all day), cereal, croissant, and juice! However, I may have broken my straightening iron by using it in the outlet even with a converter. I am hoping this is not so, but again this is just a side note! Ciao!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A paragraph of your story is about your straightening iron. That is awesome.

Sounds like you guys are having a good time. Enjoy yourself, this is a once in a life time trip!

Kristina said...

I am still laughing at your stories about your encounters along the way. I especially like the one about your feet, the way you described it I could totally imagine you! It was so funny and I love the elevator story too. It sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep sharing your funny stories..Love ya

Pam said...

I am so glad you are having an adventure so far. Your stories make me laugh. I could just see you doing all these things and still have some craziness going on. Love you tons and miss you lots!!!

Mom said...

Hi Honey -

You are definitely having fun and the stories you are coming up with I can just imagine the three of you traveling around and feet hurting and I can just see you carrying the 35 pound pack on your back. It is all a visual and it makes me laugh.

It was so great to talk with you this morning.

Have a great time and be safe. Love you and Miss you bunches.