Thursday, October 16, 2008

Roma!

As most of you could have guessed...I am loving Rome so far and we have only been here two full days. The city smells of gas fumes, cigarettes, and once in a while a whiff of sewer type smell comes your way. But I enjoy Rome's imperfections. It's a nice change from the perfectly cleaned and groomed streets of Orange County. The roads and sidewalks are cobblestone laid bricks, the river is a weird green color, and we are the only people in this city who believe in wearing flip flops! The architecture is breathtaking and my feet ache from all the walking we've done, but I feel accomplished. Crazy men come up to us and try to hand us roses but then they want money... we just say no and keep walking! And Mike I am definitely winning at yelling so far on this trip and Lara says she misses you. But no Italian stallions yet who like surfing so I will let you know about that when it happens! haha 

It has definitely been an eventful two days, but we are having so much fun! We are staying here in Rome with, my friend's little brother, Tim and his roommates who have been such amazing hosts. They've had excellent suggestions on places to see while we have been here and took us to one of their favorite pubs last night for dinner. We're navigating around the city well with our handy maps (such a tourist thing to do!), but I feel I know my way around now with all the walking we've been doing and things look pretty familiar already. I feel like I've been here for weeks, not two days! Yesterday was full of sightseeing as soon as we all got off our planes and met up, so by the end of the day as you could imagine we were all exhausted. We went to the Vatican City and walked around for a bit but decided to go back today to go inside St Peters Basilica and the Capella Sistina (Sistine Chapel). We also saw the Colosseum by night which was really amazing. We walked all over teh city yesterday and ate some amazing pizza and such as well.

The sleeping arrangements at Tim's place are interesting, since three of shared the full sized pull out couch. It was an interesting night between the bed sinking all of us towards the middle and the sweet techno jams we were hearing from some sort of disco club that is directly below the apartment that the boys informed us on. Apparently they like to crank up the music into the wee hours of the morning. In fact, it is playing downstairs as I sit here right now! It's all good though, I just laugh about it!

Today was full of walking and more sightseeing. I love that everything is pretty much within walking distance. Granted we probably walked around 10 miles today alone but it doesn't feel like it because everything is absolutely amazing and so worth the walk. We figure you have to experience the city as if you actually lived here, and what fun would it be to take a taxi everywhere we went? However we did take one tonight and they are crazy drivers here, it was quite the experience and we kept laughing when the driver would speed up and cut in and out of traffic. It's not that bad though because everyone drives crazy so they all drive crazy together which ends up working out. Lara did almost get run over by a vespa last night though on our way back from the Colosseum. As long as you pay attention your fine. haha. Anyhow, this morning we got a late start to the day but it was great sleeping in since we had such a long day yesterday. We grabbed a cup of coffee, of course ;-), and headed to Vatican City. We started at St Peter's Basilica church and the actual chapel is unbelievable. I cannot even describe the detail that goes into it because the words would ruin it and the pictures don't do it justice. There is a dome inside that you can pay 5 euro to climb up to the top and look over the city...500 steps or so is what we climbed up. We tried counting but we lost count somewhere around 400. It was so worth the climb. You could see a 360 degree view of the city and the weather was a perfect day to be there! After we spent a few hours in the Basilica we headed around the corner to the Sistine Chapel and Museum. You walk through a museum with amazing statues and paintings that Rome has acquired over the years. There were hallways of old tapestries that were so detailed it was crazy making it smell like an library with a ton of old books (if that makes any sense!). Once you've walked through the museum part then you head into the actual Sistine Chapel. You're not allowed to take pictures but pictures would ruin the moments that you spend in there. I was left speechless standing there admiring the intricate detailing that went into that. Michael Angelo is an artistic genius if you ask me. I could not believe I was standing there, it felt so fake, like a dream. I just kept saying to myself, "I am in THE actual Sistine Chapel. Again there are not words to describe those moments sitting there looking at this huge Chapel. It's crazy though, in all the time we spent in this "religious" place, it felt empty of faith. So many people just come to see this place, but not necessarily for religious purposes. I had to question my own motives for being there, which weren't for religious reasons. I was there just like everyone else, to see this historical place. It is a place inspired by God and works of the bible, but it doesn't necessarily feel like God is in that place because it's so "touristy."

We did a few more things this evening: stopped by the Trevi fountain and made a visit to the gelato shop, went into the Pantheon, and then headed towards the Piazza de Spagna where the famous Spanish steps are. It was another eventful day but everything is so amazing in this city. It's crazy to think of how much history is here and how unworthy I feel to be here at times. Rome is a beautiful place and I would love to bring people back in order to see the things I've been able to see these past two days! Also, I've had the pleasure of being run over by a crazy man pushing his wife in a wheelchair outside St Peters Basilica and a stroller in the hallway on our way into the Sistine Chapel. We have a count going as to how many thing I can get run over by while we're in Rome. So far just the two, but I have high hopes for maybe a bike or moped! ;-)

Tomorrow afternoon we may be off to Naples and Pompei, but with no set plans we are living in the moment! Such an amazing feeling to be able to not have set plans and see what we want to while we're here. Lara and Erica are amazing travel buddies thus far and we are having a lot of laughs. I will try to post pictures as soon as I can if possible.

Ciao!

1 comment:

wendy said...

Wow wish I was there! Sounds like my kind of place! TECHNO ALL NIGHT BABY! hahahahah