Friday, October 31, 2008

A hop skip and jump...

We arrived in Corfu, Greece Wednesday morning after two train rides, an all night ferry and another two hour ferry to the island. The town is literally shut down since tourist season is over. Some of the local markets open up for an hour or two at random times during the day and there is one restaurant open as well, during random parts of the day.

It's beautiful here, however I have to say the Amalfi coast doesn't quite compare for me. We did a hike yesterday through up the mountain since they weren't renting kayaks out due to poor conditions. We hiked, well more like climbed to the top of this mountain, making our own path and me in flip flops of course! Since we made our own path through the brush and trees we all got some pretty narly scratches from these thorn bushes. The view was amazing at the top and worth the climb. Mark, a guy from Australia we met on the ferry, and Nells (from Maine), Jeremy and Kyle from California who are staying at our hostel and four stray dogs that decided to taga long with us were all on this little excursion. Mark and I didn't quite make it to the top but stayed back on a ledge because we decided it was too dangerous to continue. We had two of the four dogs sitting with us and one, that was a dalmation, decided that my lap was the best seat. It was a good few hours time to waste hiking through the Corfu terrain and kept us busy. We also swam in the Ionian Sea at the end of it all. It was quite cold, but refreshing and it is unbelievable how clear and blue the water is here. I love it! Only wish the waves were better and that I had my bodyboard to surf it a bit. Body surfing will have to do for now!

Halloween "party" tonight at the hostel (whatever that means) and off to Athens tomorrow sometime. And I have to say, hostel living has not been too shabby so far on our trip. We have definitely lucked out!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Wow looks like your doing better than you thought. That is great to hear! I would love to see Greece. Nice too that you met some people to explore with. Sounds like they were fun and those dogs Luuuuv you! Keep enjoying your journey/adventures and I look forward to reading more as you go along. Have fun with your "halloween" party!!!! I will send you some pictures of Elijah with his first trick or treating adventure!!!! :)